Getting Healthy in an Affordably Delicious Way

Welcome to The Newlywed Chef! My goal and desire will always be healthy and budget-wise cooking. If you aren't a follower yet, please become one! Always feel free to e-mail me recipes that sound good to you, and I will cook them! Or, e-mail some family favorite that you want posted for others to try, and I can do that as well, as long as its healthy, AND budget-friendly.

Enjoy the site, cast a vote in the poll, and come back each day to check for new recipes!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Let's all say farewell to summer with STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE!

I have been wanting to make an easy and healthy strawberry shortcake for awhile now. I finally did it! I hope you will try it! But hurry! These strawberries won't be in season much longer, if at all!!



Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup oil (or applesauce which yields a sponge-like cake)
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
4-5 cups fresh sliced strawberries
Light Cool Whip OR Vanilla Yogurt

Directions:

1. Mix together flour and baking powder. 
2. Add in eggs, honey, oil vanilla, and milk. Stir well and then pour into a greased 8X8 baking dish. 


3. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean!
4. Allow cake to cool to room temperature (half an hour or so). See how sponge-like this is? I used applesauce!

5. Top with cool whip or yogurt and then strawberries


6. Serve it up and enjoy :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment